Re: Debian 9.1.0

On 09/28/17 07:11, Sumit Jain wrote:
While I was installing sudo in Debian it is not getting installed . It
shows that media change please insert the disc labelled.

The Debian package management system uses a configuration file and a configuration directory to determine where to obtain software packages. These are:

    /etc/apt/sources.list

    /etc/apt/sources.list.d

The Debian installer will create a default package management configuration file and an empty package management configuration directory for you during installation.

This is what the default package management configuration file looked like after I did a fresh install of Debian 9.1.0 amd64 XFCE on the machine I am using:

2017-09-28 19:20:33 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~/tinkywinky.tracy.holgerdanske.com/etc/apt
$ cvs update -r 1.1 -p sources.list | nl
     1	#

2 # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.1.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 xfce-CD Binary-1 20170722-11:29]/ stretch main

3 deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.1.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 xfce-CD Binary-1 20170722-11:29]/ stretch main

     4	deb http://approx:9999/debian/ stretch main
     5	deb-src http://approx:9999/debian/ stretch main

     6	deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
7 deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main

     8	# stretch-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
     9	deb http://approx:9999/debian/ stretch-updates main
    10	deb-src http://approx:9999/debian/ stretch-updates main

Lines 1, 2, and 8 are commented out; they have no effect.

Line 3 is an entry for the installation media. While it says "cdrom", I installed from a USB flash drive. This is why apt-get(8), or whatever package management tool you are using, is asking you to change media when you try to install a package -- the media was mounted during installation, the package management system is still expecting the media to be mounted, but the media was not mounted when you tried to install a package. So, the package management system told you to change media and mount the installation media.

Lines 4, 5, 9, and 10 were created by the Debian installer per my "Debian archive mirror country" and "Debian archive mirror hostname" choices during installation -- I choose "enter information manually" and entered "approx:9999", respectively. (My local Approx server -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approx .)

Lines 6 and 7 were created by the Debian installer automatically.

You have at least two choices:

1.  Insert and/or mount the installation media before you install a package.

2. As root, comment out the "cdrom" line in sources.list, run 'apt-get update', and then install a package.

HTH,

David