Re: An answer to "Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device"

On Thu 28 Sep 2017 at 10:29:27 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 28/09/2017 à 09:39, Jimmy Johnson a écrit :

> >>Nonsense. sda1 is the block device name and does not have
> >>anything to do with the LABEL which is a filesystem metadata
> >>field.

> >>No it does not have anything to do with multiple Linux systems.
> >
> >In fstab a label is used as a device name, a uuid is used as a
> >device name and /dev/sda1 is a device name, you are just trying to
> >make nonsense out of nothing.
>
> A label or a UUID are not really used as device names, they are used
> *instead* of a device name.
>
> Anyway, this is not the same as what you wrote earlier and is pure
> nonsense :
>
> "your system will use sda1 as the LABEL"
>
> Unless you meant "define 'sda1' as the filesystem/swap label and use
> LABEL='sda1' in /etc/fstab", which is a really bad use of labels
> leading to confusion between labels and device names. Labels are
> meant to be explicit about the contents, not the container.
>
> >And editing multiple fstab config files because I've installed a
> >new system is, like I said undesirable and why I use device names
> >in both my fstab and grub boot menu.  As you know when a new
> >system is installed swap is formatted and it's uuid gets changed
> >every time it's formatted.
>
> The Debian installer does this, but I am not sure that all other
> distro installers do the same. Moreover, the Debian installer will
> format an existing swap only if that swap is marked for use (the
> trick is that all existing swaps are automatically marked for use by
> default, so you have to pay attention and unmark them if you do not
> want them to be formatted). IMO this is a real bug in the installer.
>
> So my general policy when installing Debian is to mark any existing
> swap as "not used", and if I want to share an existing swap, I add
> the line manually in /etc/fstab in the new system after the
> installation.

In the past I have used the VC2 shell to swapon immediately the
partitioner has formatted the partitions (but not swap), ie just
before "Install the base system". This has never caused a problem
for me, but the Installation Guide says:

"In particular, you should always use [sic] let the installer activate
your swap partition and not do this yourself from a shell." (§6.3.8.2)

Any idea why?

Cheers,
David.