Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Tue 26 Sep 2017 at 14:59:41 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 01:42:39PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On this topic, I still can't understand the contents of your
> > immutable /etc/resolv.conf file, even without the comma:
> >
> > nameserver 192.168.XX.1
> > search     host dns
> > domain     coyote.den
> >
> > Can you detail these domains called host and dns?
>
> I keep thinking that it's some relic from libc4 or libc5, before the
> adoption of nsswitch.conf, but I am at a loss how to find documentation
> that old to prove or disprove my guess.
>
> The nearest I could find is <http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag/node82.html>
> which describes an /etc/host.conf file that contains "order bind hosts".
> I can't tell whether Gene's setup is an erroneous take on this obsolete
> configuration file (somehow merging it into resolv.conf), or something
> else entirely.  Perhaps something even older, or something from a
> non-Linux system.

Oh yes, I think you're right. It even explains the comma that Gene
had in the file until this month. I see that my own ancient host.conf
still had   order hosts,bind   in it in 2000. The example with
<space> in your reference seems to be unusual.

Judging by my ancient email logs (Subject: lines only), there was a
flurry around July 1998 which was about when libc6 started (hamm).

Cheers,
David.