Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Monday 25 September 2017 13:53:17 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 07:32:05PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > Le 25/09/2017 à 17:33, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> > > For me, its a root session, and a "chattr +i resolv.conf"
> >
> > Here we have a saying that roughly translates to :
> > "When you have a hammer, any problem looks like a nail."
>
> No.  Seriously, just stop.
>
> Those of us who have done chattr +i on one or more systems have, in
> many cases, TRIED OTHER SOLUTIONS first and found them wanting.
>
> Take me for example.
>
> At work, I edited /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf and removed the options that
> tell dhclient to ask for domain-name-servers (et al.).  This works
> fine for me at work.  The DHCP servers at work respect my wish not to
> be given a domain-name-server, so dhclient never touches resolv.conf
> and everyone is happy.
>
> Then I tried the same thing at home.
>
> The results were NOT the same.
>
> The Belkin plastic router at home sends me a domain-name-server even
> if I do not ask for one.  And dhclient apparently overwrites
> resolv.conf every time it receives a domain-name-server from the DHCP
> server.
>
> EVEN IF IT DID NOT REQUEST ONE.
>
> So, the solution that I used at work does not work at home.
>
> You know what DOES work, though?
>
> chattr +i works.
>
> Do I prefer this solution?  No.
>
> Would I be happier if I could use a more elegant solution?  Yes.
>
> Should the dhclient program have a CONFIG FILE OPTION to say
> "NEVER TOUCH THE resolv.conf FILE"?  YES!
>
> Does it?  NO!
>
> Do I expect it ever to have one in the future?  BWA-hahahaha!  No.
>
> So we use what works, because the other choices don't fucking work.
>
> This is not about lack of creativity.
>
> It is not about being too blind or ignorant or stubborn to use the
> other solutions.  ("Everything looks like a nail.")
>
> This is about the other soluttions NOT WORKING.
>
> It is about ISC being too blind or ignorant or stubborn to consider
> that many people run the DHCP client software WITHOUT being the ones
> in charge of the DHCP server on the same network.
>
> Or, not considering that many people use cheap plastic consumer-grade
> routers that don't behave the same way the ISC DHCP server behaves.
>
> Am I getting through yet?

I am with Greg on this one. And I HAVE tried everything the man pages
tell me, and it does NOT work, so I do what DOES WORK.  Someday, maybe
dhcpd will be smart enough to actually do what we tell it to do.

But that day hasn't even shown a cloud of dust on the time horizon I can
see from a 83 yo in <2 weeks viewpoint.

Because all you so-called experts THINK it works  ok the way it is, we
get badmouthed and called idiots.  Bad dog, no biscuit, not even the
smell of one in an all static network situation.

Something that I have been dealing with on a daily basis now for
something like 24 years at a tv station as its CE. We were, I think, the
first tv station in the US to have a web page, folks had to dial it up
for the first 6 months. Then we bought a block of 16 addresses, and a
56k line, and put the amiga that served it on one of the addresses. Jim
and I wrote that web server in ARexx.

If you want to be called an expert, first go fix dhcpd. Or n-m, but it
likely uses dhcpd to do its damage. Then ask to be called an expert.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)