Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 03:19:51PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > domain     coyote.den
>
> This I think is a leftover from when it was the place to put your
> domainname, but now we've had the domainname utility to set that for
> what, a decade?, and I could probably remove that line.  Belt and
> suspenders I guess.  :)

The domainname(1) command is for NIS, not DNS.

The "domain" directive in resolv.conf is deprecated (maybe?) in favor of
the "search" list, but the latter is a list of domain names, not places
to consult.  (If "domain" is given and "search" is not, then "search"
uses the name that is in "domain" as its only entry.)

The list of places to consult for name resolution is in /etc/nsswitch.conf
in recent releases, and was in /etc/host.conf a very long time ago.