Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 03:33:48PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > nameserver 192.168.XX.1
> > > search     host dns
> > > domain     coyote.den

> I started with Red Hat 5.0, in the late '90's. And it looks like stretch
> may have deprecated the executable, locate can only find the  .conf
> files, one in /etc, and one in  /usr/share/libc-bin/nsswitch.conf. Maybe
> its something libc-bin uses? They are identical FWTW.

>From Red Hat 5.2 (Apollo) resolver(5):

NAME
     resolver - resolver configuration file

SYNOPSIS
     /etc/resolv.conf

     search   Search list for host-name lookup.  The search list is normally
              determined from the local domain name; by default, it contains
              only the local domain name.  This may be changed by listing the
              desired domain search path following the search keyword with
              spaces or tabs separating the names.  Most resolver queries will
              be attempted using each component of the search path in turn un-
              til a match is found.  Note that this process may be slow and
              will generate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the
              listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if
              no server is available for one of the domains.

              The search list is currently limited to six domains with a total
              of 256 characters.
4th Berkeley Distribution      November 11, 1993                             1

I still think you're carrying along some mistake that you made decades
ago, which has simply never caused any problems, but is also not doing
anything beneficial.  But if you can tell us *which* man page you saw
this in, that would be of interest.

P.S. there's nothing new in stretch here.  Even the wheezy man page for
resolv.conf(5) looks basically the same as stretch's.  Compare:

https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/manpages/resolv.conf.5.en.html
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/manpages/resolv.conf.5.en.html