Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Tuesday 26 September 2017 14:59:41 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 01:42:39PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On this topic, I still can't understand the contents of your
> > immutable /etc/resolv.conf file, even without the comma:
> >
> > nameserver 192.168.XX.1
> > search     host dns
> > domain     coyote.den
> >
> > Can you detail these domains called host and dns?
>
> I keep thinking that it's some relic from libc4 or libc5, before the
> adoption of nsswitch.conf, but I am at a loss how to find
> documentation that old to prove or disprove my guess.
>
> The nearest I could find is <http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag/node82.html>
> which describes an /etc/host.conf file that contains "order bind
> hosts". I can't tell whether Gene's setup is an erroneous take on this
> obsolete configuration file (somehow merging it into resolv.conf), or
> something else entirely.  Perhaps something even older, or something
> from a non-Linux system.

I started with Red Hat 5.0, in the late '90's. And it looks like stretch
may have deprecated the executable, locate can only find the  .conf
files, one in /etc, and one in  /usr/share/libc-bin/nsswitch.conf. Maybe
its something libc-bin uses? They are identical FWTW.

Cheers Greg, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)