Re: dirs mirror

On 9/25/17, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> On 09/25/17 12:57, Pol Hallen wrote:
>>
>> I'd like create a mirror between 2 dirs: one local dir
>>
>> /home/user/testA
>>
>> and
>>
>> /home/user/testB
>> this "testB" is a samba mounted share dir (//ip/remote_share
>> /home/user/testB)
>>
>> any idea?
>>

> It sounds like you want the Linux equivalent of Microsoft's "Offline
> files":
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+offline+files&t=ffsb&ia=qa

Using David's "offline" keyword, I tried a quick "apt-cache search
offline files". Received back a few things, but "syrep" stood out near
the top (description left whole because of so many perks):

"Description-en: A generic file repository synchronization tool
 syrep is a generic file repository synchronization tool. It may be used to
 synchronize large file hierarchies bidirectionally by exchanging patch files.
 Syrep is truely peer-to-peer, no central servers are involved.
 Synchronizations between more than two repositories are supported. The patch
 files may be transferred via offline media, e.g. removable hard disks or
 compact discs.
 .
 Files are tracked by their message digests, currently MD5. The following file
 operations are tracked in the snapshot files: creation, deletion,
 modification, creation of new hard or symbolic links, renaming. (The latter is
 nothing more than a new hard link and removal of the old file). syrep doesn't
 distinguish between soft and hard links. In fact even copies of files are
 treated as the same. Currently, syrep doesn't synchronize file attributes like
 access modes or modification times.
 .
 Syrep was written to facilitate the synchronization of two large digital music
 repositories without direct network connection. Patch files of several
 gigabytes are common in this situation.
 .
 Syrep is able to cope with 64 bit file sizes. (LFS)
 .
 Syrep is optimized for speed. It may make use of a message digest cache to
 accelerate the calculation of digests of a whole directory hierarchy"

Sounds interesting even if it doesn't help.. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *