Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 09:59:26PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> I need to ask - what are you using instead of proper DHCP client?

titan:~$ dpkg -l | grep dhc
ii  isc-dhcp-client                       4.3.5-3                           amd64        DHCP client for automatically obtaining an IP address
ii  isc-dhcp-common                       4.3.5-3                           amd64        common manpages relevant to all of the isc-dhcp packages

> Every DHCP client worthy of its name (ISC one, for instance) allows one
> to redefine every part of client configuration via hooks.
> For instance dhcpcd that I use has this specific example in its manpage:
>
> So to stop dhcpcd from touching your DNS settings or starting
> wpa_supplicant you would do:- nohook resolv.conf, wpa_supplicant

titan:~$ man dhclient | grep resolv
titan:~$ man dhclient.conf | grep resolv
titan:~$ dhclient --help 2>&1 | grep resolv
titan:~$

So, your solution was to rip isc-dhcp-client entirely out of the system
and replace it with something else.

Mine was to chattr +i resolv.conf.

The cyberciti.biz FAQ page gives another solution that involves
creating an sh function in some undocumented directory to overwrite
some undocumented internal part of the DHCP client with a function that
does nothing.

What I mean by undocumented: according to the web page, the directory
used to be named /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/ and yet:

titan:~$ man dhclient | grep hook
titan:~$ man dhclient.conf | grep hook
titan:~$

I have not tested this solution.  I'm just assuming that it will work
if we replace the old directory name with the new one (/etc/dhcp/...).
I would expect the "hooks.d" part to be in there somewhere.  It's not.

So, if you want to disparage me because I could have done this secret
undocumented ridiculously intrusive thing that one can only learn about
from a third party web page, sure, go ahead.  Tell me how stupid and
lazy I am for preferring a simple command that just WORKS over this
undocumented hook thing, at the same time that you yourself THREW THE
ENTIRE SOFTWARE PACKAGE AWAY rather than try to deal with it.

Fine: I'm stupid and lazy and ignorant and unwilling to learn.

But at least my computer works (now).