Re: USB camera; was Re: Video input vs. systemctl enable.

	Hi.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 01:22:48PM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2017-09-20, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 05:56:22AM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> >> *	From: Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com>
> >> *	Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:20:18 +0300
> >>
> >> peter@dalton:~$ lsusb
> >> Bus 001 Device 006: ID 045e:00f8 Microsoft Corp. LifeCam NX-6000
> >
> > I got that feeling that things won't be easy, but M$ webcam put this
> > right into 'hardcore entertainment' category. Marked AO for Adult Only.
> > Viewer discretion is advised.
> >

> Wouldn't it be helpful to see the dmesg output when he plugs the device
> in? Or did we see that already upthread?

Probably not. lsusb -t is a viable substitute.
I.e. the device is plugged, but there's no appropriate kernel module.
Also I'm allergic to 'journalctl -foobar' output. Way too much noise for
my taste.

> I'm reading that this material requires a tweak:
>
>  options uvcvideo quirks=0x100
>
> in
>
>  /etc/modprobe.d/uvcvideo.conf
>
> http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/2014-01-18-microsoft-lifecam-nx-6000

There's a catch. You can pass various options to a kernel module all day
long, but they won't do anything unless the kernel module is loaded.
And that one was not.
Moreover, loading the thing by hand and feeding it a correct USB ID did
not do anything of value.
*Maybe* if uvcvideo is loaded with this quirk *and* fed a USB ID there
would be some difference. An idea worth to check IMO.

Reco