Re: Editing /etc/apt/sources.list breaks update

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:51 AM, Fungi4All <fungilife@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't Debian 9.1 Stretch?

Ah damn, the "9.1" was a typo from me. I experimented with both
Stretch and the testing installations under VirtualBox.
My post was about "testing" which is now "buster", installed from:
 debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

> Isn't Buster the same as testing for the next 2 years, give and take
> a few months?  So there will be no change.  Have I missed
> something?

I wanted to experiment about how Debian testing works as a rolling
distro. I have read some people do it successfully. I have good
experiences of other rolling distros myself, namely Manjaro and
SparkyLinux.
SparkyLinux is based on Debian testing but it has no proper installer
with memory < 1GB. :(

Now having a rolling Debian is not the main issue, it is more about
problem solving. Why things don't work as advertised?

> It now looks like this :
> deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> # deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing contrib main
> # deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main
>
> Who changed stretch to buster?  Why change buster to testing?
> I keep reading the responses wondering why the rest are responding
> the way they do.  Like something obvious was overseen!

There was "buster" and I changed it to "testing" as advertised here:
 https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
It should be possible by all logic. Why isn't it? Can you reproduce
the problem? I am curious what exactly happens.

> PS  I still have a VHS of Juha Kankunen and his Lancia 037!
> It is the first thing that flashes in my head when I hear Juha.

:)

Juha M.