Re: My Problem with Stretch - thin mosquito-like noise from HDD partition

On 19/09/17 21:53, Tibor Mate wrote:
Hello dear support,
i love debian but since Stretch i have this problem: using laptop there is
a thin - mosquito-like - noise from HDD which immediately stop when i mount
a partition. Then the noise stop BUT after cca 2-3 minutes starts again and
stop just when i unmount the partition. But then again start after 2-3
minutes so it is terrible circle and to use and work on this system can
not. On windows no problem, on older debian distros no problem. Have you
any idea with it (some deb package that can do it). Thanks. Tibor

How do you know that the noise comes from the HDD? The mosquito-like noise you describe sounds like coil whine. I conjecture that the more recent Debian has different power characteristics (perhaps more efficient?) that move your laptop into a load level that causes coil whine to occur. The other solutions proposed on this thread might work, perhaps because they change the current drawn by your laptop. This might be why mounting the partition appears to help.

- What is the model of your laptop and does it have a known problem with coil whine?

- Does the whine occur when AC is connected or only on battery?

- Can you remove the whine by changing the screen brightness?

- Does the whine occur under load? For example "povray --benchmark".

I have heard coil whine on many computers. Some whine at high load. Some whine only under ATX off (just enough power on the motherboard to allow he power button to work).

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director