Re: sudo slow on DNS lookup, with invalid resolv.conf entries

On Sunday 17 September 2017 16:39:25 x9p wrote:

> > Since the /etc/hosts file can also contain aliases, the ideaL way
> > would seem to be to make use of that. Example:
> > 192.168.x.z	localhost.localdomain	localhost
>
> You are right, this solves the problem of the DNS lookup / X seconds
> delay to run sudo even with a buggy DNS server:
>
> root@localhost:~# head -1 /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain

In this case it should make only microseconds difference, but the first
name given s/b the FQDN, the 2nd and other space separated strings on
the same line would be the alias's.  In the above case, that would
interchange the pair of strings. But I doubt if the time difference
could be measured w/o some fancy machine assistance.

> Should be on debian by default in my opinion.

I agree, but I don't have permission to even blow the whistle on this
train called linux. :) Basically someone decides its more secure,
without considering the amount of time that 1000 others like you will
expend restoring what is to you, normal near instant operation.  Maybe
it is a good idea, but the person who made that change is too busy
hiding from the hordes to even consider sticking up his keyboard and
justifying the change, including what we have to change to keep
everything running.
> x9p

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)