Re: sudo slow on DNS lookup, with invalid resolv.conf entries

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:46:09PM -0300, x9p wrote:

> I was getting > 30sec to complete "sudo su" on a host. This host had
> invalid entries in resolv.conf and I realized sudo was doing 5 seconds
> lookup on each entry searching for "localhost.localdomain"
>
> sudo is 1.8.19p1 @ stretch.
>
> Believe no DNS lookups should be made... even for localhost

You should have a localhost entry in /etc/hosts. If you have
configured your /etc/sudoers to specify "localhost.localdomain",
then you should also have a localhost.localdomain entry in
/etc/hosts, or your should change the sudoers config to just
reference "localhost".

-dsr-