Re: xterm: cannot paste some "utf-8" unicode chars into xterm - was Re: custom keyboard layout - select and middle-click paste in xterm -lc

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 09:28:22PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> 2) My problem is pasting into xterm some unicode characters (see the
>    question in my other email) - this is the part NOT working for me
>    - everything else is working really well (i.e., so I don't need to
>    use xmodmap at this point).
>
> So that's the real question - why are some unicode characters
> displaying when entered by the keyboard, but NOT displaying when
> pasted with the middle-click mouse button?

Exciting news - the problem has just been narrowed down:

Decided to try Geany editor in the mix ("xterm" means
"LC_ALL=en_us.UTF-8 xterm -lc"):

 - copy from Geany, paste to Geany - works fine
 - copy from Geany, paste to xterm - works fine

 - copy from xterm, paste to Geany - "function symbol" does not
   paste, "musical natural" does paste

 - copy from xterm, paste to xterm - "function symbol does not
   paste properly, "musical natural" does paste

So, it looks like whatever is doing the copying into the copy buffer,
from xterm, is not copying some unicode utf-8 characters properly!

Geany on the other hand, can copy those characters that xterm has
problems with, and subsequently, these characters can be pasted both
into Geany, AND into xterm.

So Geany is copying chars correctly!

And xterm (and Geany) is pasting chars correctly!

It's just xterm not copying some chars correctly.

Now, how to solve this mystery? - this looks like an xterm specific
problem when xterm tries to copy utf-8 text - should I post a bug, or
post this problem report to somewhere xterm-specific?

(Interestingly, Linux console (with mousing enabled) can copy and
paste the "function symbol" just fine, although it cannot (with my
config) properly display the musical natural symbol (and pasting the
diamond into a text file, then viewing that in xorg, just shows a
diamond, so Linux console is a bit limited unfortunately).)