custom keyboard layout - select and middle-click paste in xterm -lc

So I've mapped the function (mathematical) symbol to Level3-Shift + `
(backtick) - created a custom keyboard layout in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/...

The following locale is enabled: en_us.UTF-8

The character in utf-8 is as follows:

(It should look like an italic lowercase letter f.)

I've also mapped LWin (the LHS "Windows"/ "OS"/ "Logo" key) to be my
Level 3 chooser key.

After running sudo setupcon, I can type LWin + ` (hold left logo key
(like a shift key) then press and release backtick) and at the Linux
console I get the "function symbol" (a slightly slanted lowercase f).

Having enabled console-mouse, I can also select and right-click paste
this, at the Linux console.

I've also mapped the musical natural sign:

♮

To be at the 4th level of the backtick key on my custom keyboard
layout, accessed by pressing (in my case) LWin + Shift + `

On to Xorg:

Mystery 1:
------------------
In Xorg, the following xorg terminal allows my to type the key
combinations for ƒ and ♮ :

 LC_ALL=en_us.UTF-8 xterm -lc

however the following xterms do NOT allow entry of these two
unicode characters ƒ and ♮ :

 LC_ALL=en_us.UTF-8 xterm
 LC_ALL=en_us.UTF-8 xterm -u8
 LC_ALL=en_us.UTF-8 uxterm

QUESTION 1: Why is it that only "xterm -lc" allows entry of these
unicode characters ƒ and ♮ ?

Mystery 2:
------------------
using the terminal "xterm -lc", I now try to copy and paste:

 A) type the musical natural sign ♮ into the terminal (or a run of
    them), then select/highlight them with the mouse, then
    middle-click to paste back into the terminal.

    This works as expected

 B) type the function sign ƒ into the terminal (or a run of them),
    then select/highlight them with the mouse, then middle-click
    to paste back into the terminal.

    This does NOT work as expected - instead of the function sign
    being pasted, I get a question mark (or run of question marks).

QUESTION 2: Why is it that only some unicode characters can be copy
and pasted into "xterm -lc" and not other unicode characters?

TIA :)