Re: Laptop Wireless issues

On 2017-09-13 11:58 -0600, Cody Jackson wrote:

> I'm a new linux user. I've used Debian on Virtualbox but recently decided
> to make the move to a dedicated Debian system. I recently purchased an Asus
> X541-UA-RH71 to install Debian on. I ran into some issues with the wifi
> setup.
>
> When I was installing it said that the firmware for rtlwifi/rtl8723befw.bin
> couldn't be found. Realizing that I probably wouldn' be able to fix the
> issue without finishing installation, I went on until installed.

The easiest way to install Debian on laptops is with the unofficial
images that contain all the firmware typically needed for your WiFi[1,2].

> 1. Get an ethernet cable and use that to connect online, then run the
> commands and make sure the RealTek drivers are there and then attempt to
> add the .bin file again.
>
> 2. Install the DVD image iso that has more of the packages already
> downloaded and hopefully that will allow me to access the commands/files I
> need in order to remedy the situation.

If you already have installed Debian on your laptop, simply get the
firmware-realtek package[3] from non-free (either using a wired
connection, or via another computer and sneakernet).  You can install it
with dpkg:

# dpkg -i firmware-realtek_20161130-3_all.deb

Good luck,
Sven

1. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
2. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.1.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-9.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso