Re: Scanner problem

On Mon 11 Sep 2017 at 19:23:09 +0200, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:

> Two scanners: 1=Epson; 2=canon. 1 works fine, as root and as user. Canon
> works as root but not as user, scanimage and sane-find-scanner do not
> find it.

Do we assume your system is a stretch one? Please post the model names
of the scanners.

> While /dev/bus/usb/001/0XX is owned by root:root,, but as well by the
> scanner group (where my user is), it is not the case with Canon, the
> device is owned only by root:root.

On jessie and stretch a user is not required to be in the scanner group.

Post the output of 'ls -l /dev/bus/usb/*/*' for both scanners.

> If I do setfacl -mgroup:scanner:rw- the scanner works as regular user.

This should be unnecessary.

> My questions:
>
> 1. Why permissions are set properly for Epson and not Canon?

Let's see if we can find out.

> 2. How can I create a Udev rule to fix itN
>
> 3. Should I reportbug to the sane package?
>
> Thanks. If I should write to another list such as debian-sane or
> whatever, tell me.

Hopefully, doing any of these will become superfluous.

There is a wiki page dealing with scanners.

--
Brian.