Re: Upgrade from jessie to strech wants to bloat by system

On 9/7/17, Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> wrote:
> Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de> writes:
>
>> I see that some new versions of packages are installed without the old
>> versions being removed, although they are marked as automatically
>> installed, e.g. Linux kernel, clang, llvm, and some others.  For
>> example
>>
>>   # aptitude search "~i clang"
>>   i   clang                     - C, C++ and Objective-C compiler (LLVM
>> based)
>>   i A clang-3.5                 - C, C++ and Objective-C compiler (LLVM
>> based)
>>   i A libclang-common-3.5-dev   - clang library - Common development
>> package
>>   i A libclang1-3.5             - C interface to the clang library
>
> That shows the ‘clang’ package is *not* marked auto-installed. That is,
> the APT database shows it was manually requested, and so will never be
> auto-removed.

Oh, oh, ohhhh.. Quite a while back I observed on here that apt-get
tells me packages are now marked as manually installed if I
(accidentally) do an "apt-get install" command on a package that turns
out to already be current. That happened to me regularly when I was
having to break my upgrades into small sized chunks while doing them
every day (k/t small town dialup access).

I'd *almost* be willing to bet that your "the APT database shows it
was manually requested, and so will never be auto-removed" comes into
play with respect to that apt-get advisement. It would be interesting
to test it if that actually does... :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey