Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On 09/02/2017 08:24 PM, Doug wrote:
[snip]
Do you have Kate on your system? You can open side-by-side versions of
that, and that's a fine text editor that you don't have to
know vi or anything esoteric to use it.

--doug

As I currently have the MATE desktop, it is not installed and the original motivation has passed.

However, reviewing Kate's homepage [https://kate-editor.org/] suggests it may have other desirable features. Synaptic reports ~150 packages would be installed but the additional disk space would not be significant. As I was already planning an upgrade to Stretch {>=9.1} with a heavily customized choice of packages this would be a convenient time to investigate Kate.

Thank you.