Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

I use emacs (mostly for programming and writing documentation and
LaTeX) and vim(mostly when I edit configuration files or very large
text files).

Some alternatives which (some of them may have been mentioned in this thread):

Atom - a fairly new and versatile one as far as I know
PyCharm (not a native Debian Package) but very nice to debug Python
with. The community edition is free.
Bluefish (especially when editing html files).

Regards
Johann