Re: Install on hp-pavilion-g6-2100 stops at 98%

Hi,

Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> Are you saying that it looks like he copied straight to
> the device instead of to a mount point?

Yes, i believe it is so.
I cannot be totally sure, because i have no MacOS at hand.
But /dev/disk1 is a whole disk device, according to web and other
confirmations. No Unix puts a file into the filesystem of a disk if
you copy it to the disk device file.
On GNU/Linux, "cp" does the same as "dd" in such a case. It copies the
ISO image bytes plainly onto the disk device, overwriting the partition
table and possibly establishing an own partition table.

This plain copying of the ISO to the disk device is the recommended way
to use a Debian i386 or amd64 installation ISO on a USB stick.
Unpacking and installing to the hard disk happens by a GNU/Linux system
which gets booted out of the ISO. Either by bootloader ISOLINUX on PC BIOS
firmware, or by bootloader GRUB2 on EFI firmware. Both are ready in the ISO.

So no need to unpack the ISO before booting the USB stick.
There are old instructions around to do so. They might still have a benefit
if you want to boot more than one system from the USB stick.

> I regularly mount partitions to do debootstrap installs so I do
> understand that method.

That's an alternative way to install Debian without a bootable ISO but
rather by help of an already running operating system (must it be a
GNU/Linux ?) and access to a Debian repository.
One could possibly use a Live-CD ISO as such a running operating system.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas