Re: network trouble on stretch

On 9/3/17, Glenn English <ghe2001@gmail.com> wrote:
> Working on a Dell 5414 laptop, Stretch.
>
> The WiFi works, but the Ethernet doesn't, and I can't figure out why.
>
> ip addr:
>
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
> group default qlen 1
>     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
>     inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>     inet6 ::1/128 scope host
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> 2: enp0s31f6: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN
> group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 10:05:01:40:f4:43 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 3: wwp0s20f0u2i12: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop
> state DOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 4e:8a:3a:22:b3:df brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 4: wlp1s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group
> default qlen 1000
>     link/ether f4:8c:50:17:bc:0e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 5: enx10050149649d: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state
> DOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 10:05:01:49:64:9d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto wwp0s20f0u2i12
> iface wwp0s20f0u2i12 inet static
>     address 216.17.134.202/29
>     gateway 216.17.134.201
>
> First I tried with wicd, a network manager (the static def wasn't in
> interfaces)
>
> It said the wired interface was up, and assigned the requested IP. It
> wasn't checking after assignment to see if it worked. I turned that
> on, and it never came back.
>
> I removed the network monitor and added the static paragraph to the
> interface file. ifup and ifdown worked, and ip addr said
> wwp0s20f0u2i12 was up.
>
> There are two Ethernet ports on this thing, and I tried both with no
> success. I swapped out the Ethernet cable with the same result.
>
> I replaced Stretch with Buster. It works. dhcp (Comcast) or static (my
> T1). Using the interfaces file.
>
> BTW. ifconfig fans, wait till you get to Buster -- no ifup or down.
> Buster seems to boot using a commented out dhcp paragraph, though.
> Running by hand, '/etc/init.d/network reload' loads the correct
> config.
>
> The 'man interfaces' on Stretch talks a lot about the ethn interfaces.
> It does on Buster, too.
>
> This is less than optimal.
>
> What's going on here? This is Linux, not Winders; Debian, not Ubuntu;
> stable, not Sid. This is what we're supposed to put on Internet
> servers? They had time to make something as simple as this work while
> it was testing. And to correct the man pages, too.

> [...]

You mentioned wicd, but I'm not quite able to tell where you made your
change. My apologies if you have already done what I've written below.
I'm going to post anyway on that off chance that it might help someone
else.

I changed mine by clicking that drop down arrow on the right of *my*
wicd interface. This is one of those cases where the window default is
smaller sized so something important is buried behind a non-invasive,
i.e. cognitively almost invisible, drop down arrow.

There's a Preferences option buried there when that window is smaller.
Mine has Preferences, About, and Quit hiding under that arrow.

Under Preferences, there's a General Settings tab. At the top of that
is Network Interfaces for Wireless Interface and Wired Interface.
That's where I changed mine a while back, and it's been working.

DISCLAIMER is that my setup is extremely basic. When all those fancier
settings have to be made for multiple computer systems networking
together, my successful, quick fix setting there may have no effect at
all for that something fancier.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey