Re: Laptop recommendation

Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> writes:

> On 03/09/17 08:38, Jonas Hedman wrote:
> > Basically I'm on the hunt for a newish laptop on which I naturally
> > want to run Debian. [...]
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Yes. Think Penguin <https://www.thinkpenguin.com/> sells computers
> compatible with GNU/Linux that do not need proprietary drivers.

Seconded. Think Penguin is one of very few vendors that actively source
components by working with manufacturers to ensure they need no
proprietary drivers.

> They claim to donate part of the profit to the development of free
> software (I can neither confirm nor deny this claim).

Think Penguin do indeed spend hours of paid work to *increase* the
number of hardware devices that will work with only free software. See
<URL:https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/free-software-wireless-n-mini-vpn-router-tpe-r1100>
as an example, the TPE-R1100.

> Use H-node <https://h-node.org/> to check for hardware compatibility
> and contribute an entry for your hardware if you can.

The H-node project is a great community resource. More contributions
keep it humming.

--
 \     “Try adding “as long as you don't breach the terms of service – |
  `\          according to our sole judgement” to the end of any cloud |