Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

On 09/02/2017 01:17 PM, Dejan Jocic wrote:
On 02-09-17, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
On 02/09/17 13:34, Dejan Jocic wrote:
You can set up both Vim and Emacs as powerful programming editors.
These are the *worst* possible suggestions. Both of these editors
require a lot of learning to even use them at all. If the OP follows
your advice, his users will have the impression that all software in
GNU/Linux is as arcane and difficult to use as GNU Emacs and Vim are.

--
Do not eat animals; respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

That depends on whom you ask. For me, there was not anything arcane in
both Emacs and Vim. I've found them easier to use than nano, for
example. OP is looking for programming editor. While there are some GUI
based editors that can fulfill that role, with some extensions added and
or enabled, for most beginner programming tasks, Vim and Emacs will do
fine. Net is full of tutorials and primers for both, some of which are
really excellent source of getting started. I've did try them as soon as
I've started to get into command line and bash scripts and I've never
looked back. Others I've tried, including but not limited to nano,
Gedit, Kate and so on were not so pleasant to use for anything but quick
one line editing, reading some text or copy paste things. And if someone
prefers GUI editor, there is always gvim. Though all that stuff like
what is best editor/desktop environment/music player/insert something
here is matter of opinion and taste, not facts. Including, but certainly
not limited to my opinion. And OP certainly can install several
different editors and let users try them all and pick what suites them
best.

I recommend nedit for programming editor. It is very easy to use. I have been using it for assembler programming for more than 17 years.
Best regards,
Fred Boatwright