Re: One-line password generator

On Wed 30 Aug 2017 at 00:59:15 +0300, Reco wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 08:50:53PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> 'Us'? Do not speak for all the list please.

It is a construct; intended to involve everyone in the conversation.

> Admit that you just did not read the pdf.

It is not concerned with online cracking. That is obvious. Why should I
spend time in reading its each and every detail

> > How does this help with attacking the password for a login with online techniques?
>
> Simple. You generate passwords by using adjectives, nouns and verbs from
> Oxford and/or Webster dictionary. You don't put all the words together
> (the result will have too much volume), you try to create grammatically
> correct (although meaningless) phrases. A mathematical concept that
> allows you to do so is Markov chains. An implementation of this concept
> is called Prince Attack on hashcat lingua.
>
> Overall entropy of 'my!only"reason£for$living%is^ebay' password (aka
> XKCD 936 password) could be reduced significantly, leaving
> 'eq8GeKBhVXOTjF0dAyd0' password (aka base64 password) far superior.
>
> Also, bruteforcing a password by feeding a list of those to the online
> service of any kind is dumb (unless you have a disposable botnet
> dedicated to this purpose). Smart move is to obtain a list of
> (hopefully) hashed passwords, which all bad guys are doing these days.

Services accept numerous failed *online* logins without doing anything
about it?

We (or, if you prefer - you) have now decided to move to offline
cracking. It makes for a better press.

> > > Since it appeared in a public maillist - it is a bad password by
> > > definition.
> >
> > It will not be used again.
> >
> > How easy is it to force
> >
> >  +H3GHd8kXs8HfmRDzZ7y
>
> Since you put it on the public maillist again - trivially.

Damn. I spent ages using the technique in the first post in this thread
to devise it.

--
Brian.