Re: On another (but related) note: Zip files

On 08/30/2017 07:57 AM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> I know that the tradition for Linux is GZipped tarballs, but I also know
> that, at least from the Gnome desktop, I can open a PKZip-compatible Zip
> file, and create a (presumably also) PKZip-compatible Zip file.
>
> I don't, however, see a way to do so from the command line (or within a
> script) without doing an apt-get to install the zip package (and
> presumably also the unzip package).
>
> Can somebody explain this? It seems a bit puzzling.
>
> --
> JHHL

File-roller, the gnome archive utility, depends on p7zip-full, which
provides support for quite a few formats. If you want to work with these
from the terminal, the pz7ip* packages provide various binaries like 7z,
7za, 7zr, and p7zip, which all do similar but slightly different things.

List of supported formats: (in p7zip-full)
 * Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, XZ and TAR
 * Unpacking only: APM, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS,
ISO, LZH, LZMA, LZMA2, MBR, MSI, MSLZ, NSIS, NTFS, RAR (only if non-free
p7zip-rar package is installed), RPM, SquashFS,
   UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR and Z.