On another (but related) note: Zip files

I know that the tradition for Linux is GZipped tarballs, but I also know that, at least from the Gnome desktop, I can open a PKZip-compatible Zip file, and create a (presumably also) PKZip-compatible Zip file.

I don't, however, see a way to do so from the command line (or within a script) without doing an apt-get to install the zip package (and presumably also the unzip package).

Can somebody explain this? It seems a bit puzzling.

--
JHHL