Re: USB external hard drive -- mounting

On 8/29/17, 4:17 AM, Dominique Dumont wrote:
I wrote this blog a while ago for this kind of problem:
https://ddumont.wordpress.com/2016/04/24/automount-usb-devices-with-systemd/

That worked. It mounts on IPL, is available from an ssh session before anybody has signed on to Gnome, it mounts (after being unmounted) when unplugged and plugged back in, it mounts with a Gnome desktop icon, and it mounts as read/write, despite being NTFS. The fstab entries I came up with on the first try are:
LABEL=ExternalHD /media/ExternalHD auto defaults,noatime,auto,nofail 0 2
LABEL=ExternalHD /media/ExternalHD auto defaults,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=5,noatime,noauto 0 2

One odd thing, with those two lines in fstab, and a manually-inserted mount point of "ExternalHD" in /media, I get this message (I had to restart the box about 3 or 4 times in order to write it down verbatim) during the IPL process, before the screen blanks and (eventually) the Gnome sign-on screen comes up:

Failed to create mount unit file /run/systemd/generator/
media-ExternalHD.mount as it already exists. Duplicate entry in
/etc/fstab?

and also, contrary to the blog post, it doesn't, once unmounted, remount when one attempts to access it. None of these issues are of earth-shattering importance here, but I'm a bit curious about them.

--
JHHL