Re: No ifconfig

On 2017-08-21, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 05:58:43AM +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>> van Smoorenburg init and systemd actually have nothing whatsoever to do with
>> it.  ifconfig uses one Linux API for sending information to and from the
>> kernel, ip uses a different Linux API.  Ironically, the net-tools package is
>> completely Linux-specific *anyway*, so the usual argument that ifconfig
>> couldn't be changed to use the other API, because it has to remain portable,
>> does not hold any water.
>
> The basic command-line syntax of ifconfig is pseudo-standardized across
> dozens of legacy Unix systems, as well as BSD.  *This* is what people
> are really complaining about here -- the divergence of Linux from the
> rest of the Unix-speaking world (in addition to breaking backward
> compatibility with itself).

I have a tenuous understanding of just about everything, but I was going
to mention the wiki, which seems to dilute whatever savory irony the
so-called complete Linux specificity of net-tools might contain:

 Take into account that the interfaces provided by net-tools, to some extent
 are the portable ones across OSes to configure and handle some network stuff.
 If net-tools is considered deprecated on GNU/Linux, please do not just remove
 the support as that will break GNU/kFreeBSD for example which is using the
 compatible freebsd-net-tools, or GNU/Hurd which can use the partial support
 from inetutils-tools.

https://wiki.debian.org/NetToolsDeprecation

--
Only the coward who has more fear of death than dignity can comfort himself with the fact that
his body will in time live again in the grass, in the stones, in the toad. To find one's