mga-Driver does not work with video card Matrox G400/G450 rev 04

Hello,

an upgrade from Debian 8 Jessie to Debian 9 Stretch caused a similar
problem as described by Tony Stoneley in

The solution of working with xserver-xorg-video-vesa was not
satisfying as I was not able to configure the display correctly
(windows were to large in size).

I did not pass a bug report concerning the driver from
  Name                   Version      Architektur
  xserver-xorg-video-mga 1:1.6.5-1    i386

Instead, I used apt-pinning ([1], a file /etc/apt/preferences) which
forces the package management system to accept

  Name                   Version      Architektur
  xserver-xorg-video-mga 1:1.6.3-2+b1 i386

the driver video card driver from Jessie (=oldstable)

Best regards
Markus

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_packages_from_mixed_source_of_archives