Re: i386 executables on amd64?

On Saturday 19 August 2017 21:01:03 John Conover wrote:

> I inherited a project to install a pile of C code, compiled and
> running on Debian Wheezy i386 machine, to a Debian jessie amd64
> machine.
>
> Astonishingly, most of the Wheezy i386 executables run on the Jessie
> amd64 machine, (which came with the project.)
>
> Is this to be expected?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     John

The exception that doesn't is the exception.  This machine has one of
amd's early quad core slow phenoms in it, running an i386 install for
reasons of latency figures better than the 64 bit stuff can do.  I have
a piece or 7 of 64 bit code installed, but it hasn't complained in any
way I've noticed running 32 bit executables.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)