Re: cannot connect to WPA2 SSIDs after installation

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017, jratliff@bluemarble.net wrote:

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 17:43:34 -0400, <jratliff@bluemarble.net> wrote:
I'm trying to put Debian 9 (stretch) on the original Microsoft Surface

You really should read the installation guide, there is a section about new interface naming.

I noticed also that every time I would boot, the device had a different
seemingly random MAC address. Since the udev name it generated was really
long, I wanted to rename it so I could test using the command line without
network manager, but I couldn't use the jessie and older trick of
70-persistent-net.rules because the MAC would always change. So I disabled
persistent names with net.ifnames=0 in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in
/etc/default/grub. After that, the MAC address is not random on boot
anymore. Also, I can connect to my SSID.

I don't think this is the cause, more of a symptom. I'm just not sure what
it means.

I'm not sure what it means either. The way I understand so far, the idea is very good: use random MAC to allow obscurity in certain wireless (and ?wired) functions. Unfortunately, some devices seem to refuse assignment
of random MAC addresses, or they have issues with certain functions after.

I think your workaround is good for now, don't allow this feature, and in the meantime do some further research.