cannot connect to WPA2 SSIDs after installation

I'm trying to put Debian 9 (stretch) on the original Microsoft Surface
Pro. I installed it, but I cannot connect to my wireless SSID after the
installation is finished.

When the installer tries to connect, it works fine. But after I boot into
the finished install, it just keeps asking for my SSID pass phrase over and
over. I'm sure it's correct. I've checked it multiple times. Also, the key
is saved from the installer, where it successfully connected.

I have no problems connecting to the WiFi from System Rescue CD 5.0.3,
either.

I'm not sure what's missing in my debian install, and I'm not sure what
logs are available to investigate this.

The firmware is loaded. It's some kind of Marvell USB Wireless adapter. I
installed the firmware-libertas package and dmesg shows that it loaded the
firmware.

Any suggestions on what else I might need to be looking at?

Thanks.