Re: no /etc/inittab

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 14:59:46 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 19 Aug 2017 at 10:53:01 (+0100), Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
> wrote:
> > Joe: [ in
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/08/msg00700.html ]
> > >Stretch? Systemd was default init for Jessie, the previous stable.
> > >Worse, an upgrade of Wheezy to Jessie would actually change the
> > >init system used, thus breaking almost every Debian server in the
> > >world.
>
> This describes wheezy/7/sysvinit → change of init → jessie/8/systemd.
>
> > Nicolas George:
> >
> > >I must be lucky, none of the servers that I handle broke because
> > >of that.
>
> And I had no problem with upgrading like that either.
>
> > You are. Every single Debian 7 system with systemd that I upgraded
> > to Debian 8 hit Debian Bug #774153, meaning that the upgrades did
> > not complete unattended.
>
> That is a different process with which I have no experience, never
> having bothered to run systemd on wheezy. It was advertised IIRC
> as a technology preview so I'm not sure it would be wise to have
> moved servers onto it.

I don't think it actually did much, I never bothered investigating it.
But sid of course had a developing version of it. I deliberately
switched a mature and heavily-loaded sid to it and after a short
struggle got it to boot. But it became very flaky, occasionally didn't
boot, didn't shut down, and had other little foibles, so I did a
get-selections, installed a new minimal stable (I think jessie was
still testing then), upgraded to sid, added systemd then did the
set-selections and full rebuild. I don't think all is as well as it
might be, but it's OK. I think a machine really needs systemd right
from installation to be maximally stable.

--
Joe