Re: no /etc/inittab

On Sat 19 Aug 2017 at 10:53:01 (+0100), Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> Joe: [ in https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/08/msg00700.html ]
>
> >Stretch? Systemd was default init for Jessie, the previous stable.
> >Worse, an upgrade of Wheezy to Jessie would actually change the
> >init system used, thus breaking almost every Debian server in the
> >world.

This describes wheezy/7/sysvinit → change of init → jessie/8/systemd.

> Nicolas George:
>
> >I must be lucky, none of the servers that I handle broke because of that.

And I had no problem with upgrading like that either.

> You are. Every single Debian 7 system with systemd that I upgraded
> to Debian 8 hit Debian Bug #774153, meaning that the upgrades did
> not complete unattended.

That is a different process with which I have no experience, never
having bothered to run systemd on wheezy. It was advertised IIRC
as a technology preview so I'm not sure it would be wise to have
moved servers onto it.

Cheers,
David.