Re: Monitor won't come back from power-saving sleep

Kynn Jones composed on 2017-08-17 13:14 (UTC-0400):

> I just installed Debian on a (legacy) Optiplex 9010 desktop, and I'm
> working through some kinks.

> The most serious one, by far, is that the monitor won't wake up after it
> goes goes dark to save power.

> Curiously enough, the problem occurs only when X11 is running; otherwise,
> hitting the shift key on the keyboard brings the monitor right back.

> I have tweaked the BIOS settings to enable waking the computer from sleep
> through USB-connected devices, and also wake-on-lan and wake-on-wlan.

> How can I troubleshoot this problem further?

Is this a multiboot with Windows installation? If yes, is the problem similar
booted to Windows? If yes, complain to Dell about the display, and be sure to
not mention Linux.

Is the display also a Dell?

Is the display one with GUI BIO/firmware setup rather than good old fashioned
80x25 text?

One of my Dell displays has similar trouble: if connected via conventional
DisplayPort cable, it must be powered up before powering up PC for display sleep
to function correctly. It also has MiniDisplayPort, VGA, HDMI and DVI-D ports
that worth normally. Searching the web I found this and similar problems are not
rare.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/