Re: obsolete wiki

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 01:09:54 PM Brian wrote:
> The wiki page is at https://wiki.debian.org/Init
>
> On Tue 15 Aug 2017 at 10:07:07 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> > Well, even a vague note on the page something like:
> >
> > "Some of this seems to be out of date with the advent of systemd and its
> > adoption in Debian starting with version n.n (<Toy Story name>).  If you
> > can contribute anything more to this story, please do."
> >

> > ...would be a start.
>
> A note is not a bad idea, but is the information on the page really
> outdated, or is it inappropriate because it does not reflect the reality
> in jessie and onwards? As I tried to say in another post in this thread,
> what should the page say and how should it be structured? What should be
> omitted and what be put in. What is the purpose of the page?
>
> Sorry if I gave the impression that Felix Miata should be personally
> responsible for any changes. The point I was trying to make was that
> someone (or a number of someones) has to do it. Take a look at the
> BootProcess page. The link is on the Init page; looking at that page
> in isolation only scratches the surface of the task.

I was going to go to that page and add something like the note I mentioned,
and then suggest that you (Brian) and others check out that page and make
additional modifications as appropriate.

But, on going to that page, I see that Greg Wooledge actually modified that
page yesterday at 17:32 (don't know if that is UTC or something else).  Thank
you, Greg.

The entry in the "change log" for his changes says:

"discuss the alternative init systems a bit, and at least attempt to describe
the current state of affairs"

It looks good to me (;-) but I really know nothing about what is being
discussed.

I'd suggest others take a look, and make modifications / additions as
appropriate.

Thanks again to Greg who took the bull by the horns (and, asfaict, did not get
gored).