Re: No ifconfig [Was: no /etc/inittab]

On Tuesday 15 August 2017 10:48:12 Nicolas George wrote:

> L'octidi 28 thermidor, an CCXXV, Erik Christiansen a écrit :
> > Around 30 years of familiarity across many *nix flavours.
>
> You said it: the only superiority of ifconfig over iproute2 is
> tradition and familiarity of long-time users. On the other hand,
> ifconfig is technically inferior on most if not all points.
>
> I hope you realize that traditions and familiarity of old geezers can
> only go so far to justify the evolution or non-evolution of a system.
> Otherwise, we still would have ed in the base system.
>
> Regards,

Nicolas: The nearest ipv6 address to me is likely 150 miles north, in
Pittsburgh PA. Its all ipv4 here in WV AFAIK.

However, so far I have not been made aware of a traceroute like utility
that can tell me where any ipv6 blockage might exist, so I haven't a
clue how far a dns query might get. I don't have it setup here that I
know of, and there's little or no documentation on how to do it
available to us mear mortals.  So here at least, anybody that knows how
to cope with it when it does become a fact of life, can likely leverage
some sheckles out of that knowledge. For instance, after perusing the
manpage for traceroute, my ISP is shentel.net, but

gene@GO704:/etc$ traceroute -6 shentel.net
shentel.net: Name or service not known
Cannot handle "host" cmdline arg `shentel.net' on position 1 (argc 2)

But where does the failure occur? Someplace in the chain To or From their
dns server(s), which probably encompasses at least a dozen hops to get
to the server to query them.

And uncommenting the ipv6 related lines in the hosts file makes no
difference. I didn't think it would because /etc/network/interfaces has
no ipv6 setup in it.  So for starters, what would I add to the
interfaces file to enable that since I've no clue what to put in it for
an ipv6 address.

With reference to my hosts file based home network with about 20 names in
the /etc/hosts file, please give me/us a cli command that shows how
ifconfig gets it wrong, and ip gets it right in an ipv4 environment. I
don't think it prudent to just pick some numbers out of "that"
place. ;-)

Cheers Nicolas, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)