Re: No ifconfig [Was: no /etc/inittab]

On 15.08.17 13:33, Nicolas George wrote:
> L'octidi 28 thermidor, an CCXXV, Erik Christiansen a écrit :
> > If it's no longer part of the base system, then perhaps the system is
> > too base?
>
> Please ellaborate. Why should ifconfig be part of the base system?

With pleasure. It is the most basic and useful *nix networking tool,
traditional since well back in the last millennium, spanning hp-ux,
sunos, then solaris, and various linux distros, in my experience. Even
if used mostly interrogatively these days, it is the quickest way to
check how "eth0" is currently encrypted, what the IP address is, etc. It
is not anything which needs to be added - we just need busybodies to
refrain from taking it out.

Granted, there's quite a bit of cruft taking up space, like
NetworkMunger. I've been forced to wipe that from several Ubuntu
versions in particular, as networking wouldn't function until I did.
Everything has always been sweet once that was gone. Debian does seem to
have it more under control, though, so I'll trade - leave both.

Erik