Re: obsolete wiki (was: no /etc/inittab)

Brian composed on 2017-08-14 20:22 (UTC+0100):

> So - what should be done about the wiki? Surely, that is the thrust of
> the OP's question. Altering the wiki page is relatively straightforward.
> A single user (or group of users) trying to alter the init system policy
> is doomed to failure, no matter how vociferous they are.

> Many complain about documentation. When control of it is put in their
> hands they stand back and do nothing. Going for the "easy" targets is
> more compelling.

The problem with software documentation wikis is the people in best position to
know what they should contain have no incentive to do the update work. To write
useful docs requires knowledge what should be in them. That knowledge is mostly
possessed by those writing and changing code, those who /caused/ the need to
update docs.

What's needed is incentive for code creators to simultaneously document, with
ample examples that man pages usually omit, even if it's only in formal,
non-wikified docs that wikis can point to.

Thus we see by their nature that wikis cannot be depended upon to be up to date.
Most should be used as little more than a starting point from which to confirm
elsewhere from whatever clues they provide.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/