Re: need "newbie level" instructions to file a bug.

On 8/13/17, Elton Woo <jeltonwoo@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Last week at Debconf17, here in Montréal,  Debian "Stretch" was installed
> on my machine during the Installfest. Since then, I have had several lcckups
> of the system.
> Machine: Lenovo G50-45, (purchased August 2015). 8 Gb Ram dual booting
> Windows 8.1 / Debian "Stretch"
> What happens: Whenever the screen goes to sleep / suspend mode,the system
> freezes (no response from the mouse or keyboard). My only recourse was to do
> a dirty shutdown via the power switch.
> The experts have determined that the consistent firmware crash is related to
> the drivers of my Qualcomm Atheros network card. Previously, i was able to
> use the wifi and bluetooth in Mint Linux (see thread here:Atheros QCA6164
> 0168c:0041 ver20 [SOLVED]
> |  |
> Atheros QCA6164 0168c:0041 ver20 [SOLVED] - Linux Mint Forums
>
> For the present I am obliged to disable screen timeouts, wifi connections,
> and use an ethernet cable
> For DebConf17, I registered with my other email address <luigino19@aol.com>
> and this is the address which I would prefer to use for reporting the bug.

Hi.. I don't have the answer(s) you need. What I'm doing is
"commiserating", saying "me, too" here. I actually owe this to a
different thread on a similar topic. There is at least one more thread
like this in recent times, and I think there might be more than that.

With respect to reporting this, there's a Debian package called
"reportbug". It tries to walk you through the process as painlessly as
possible considering all the variables involved.

If you decide to use reportbug, you first need to know what package
you should likely report this against. If we mess up and file against
a wrong package, the pros on the other end simply redirect the bug to
where it really belongs.

You'll go through some multiple choice steps that are geared toward
determining the severity of the bug. If you get through to actually
writing up your report, you'll encounter a temporary template that you
delete and replace by answering the steps that are addressed in the
template.

I just deleted everything else that I wrote about mine, and instead I
have a question about yours. What exactly are you doing to tell yours
when to hibernate, suspend, go to sleep?

In other words mostly I'm wondering what program or programs you're
using, which tabs in those programs if that applies, that kind of
thing. That's the kind of thorough detail you would want to put into
your report when you file it.

Do you have yours setup to make you log back in afterward, or is yours
supposed to take you straight on in with no password when you wake it
up?

Your wifi angle there is the first I've heard of that one. It's
possible someone else has mentioned it and that I just haven't read
that yet.

These days, mine's about the keyboard on a desktop PC that
theoretically has enough memory, if nothing else. This keyboard glitch
was on the laptop, too. I'd forgotten about that.

The keyboard becomes 100% USELESS until I use a mouse to send the
currently active window into the background and then bring it to the
forefront again. EVERY time. It's the weirdest glitch.

It was purely by accident that I tripped over that seemingly unrelated
work-around for it. Only occurs when it I THINK it is technically the
word, "hibernates".

In a situation where I might not have a mouse or a touchpad, the ONLY
way I could use this computer again is to do the hard reboot using
that hardware power on/off button. In other words, even things like my
fave ALT+F1 Applications menu popup don't work as an alternative for
getting to that Log out/Restart option..

Mine's set up for me to log back in after it "hibernates" (?)/goes
into "standby"..

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey