Re: Thunderbird almost unusable after upgrade

On Friday 11 August 2017 01:45:03 MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:

> Le 11/08/2017 à 07:38, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> > On Thursday 10 August 2017 14:48:52 MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am not sure I understand your mail in details. What I can say is
> >> that we tried building against gtk2 and it works. It is just a
> >> build option switch to change. Why do you think Debian package will
> >> not do it?
> >
> > It hasn't played a video, except some commercials in front of the
> > video in several weeks. I can't download the binary from mozilla
> > because its built against gtk3, and the dependency's it needs are
> > not available in the wheezy repo's. I haven't tried to build from
> > src, no clue where to get it even.
>
> Wheezy is quite old, is it impossible to switch to Jessie at least?

I have a 5 or 6 machine home network, most of which are running linuxcnc
to carve wood or metal. Linuxcnc, generally needs realtime support so
that when a machine needs direction as to what to do next, linuxcnc has
at the most 10 microseconds to respond.  The last truely realtime kernel
was built some time back as  3.4-9-rtai-686-pae. The rtai is a very
invasive patch in that it takes over the machine and runs the linux
kernel as a subtask.

No one has built a 4.x.x kernel with that patchkit and has had any real
success, the one jessie install I have is on an armhf (respberry pi 3b)
but its is running on mesa interface cards which means a 1 millisecond
response time is adequate. That machine is running a newer kernel in the
rt-preempt flavor, a 4.4.4-rt9-v7+, but while newer builds have been
tried, they all ignore the local keyboard to the extent it both unusable
and dangerous as it leaves a 300+ kilogram machine moving when it should
have stopped when I took my finger off the jog key. That is a pi
physical architecture problem that a thought experiment I had might
solve but haven't bought the hardware to test the theory yet. I am also
following the forum and reviews on pines new rock64 board as a possible
replacement of the r-pi.

Wheezy is stable, running from power outage to power outage, which might
be several months. This particular machine has a UPS, backed up by a
20KW automatic standby generator on a pad behind the garage, and its
uptime is 47 days, since the last update that needed a reboot. The
generator is needed as the wife is dieing of COPD, and lack of air
conditioning  may hasten the time of her last breath.

Wheezy is an old friend I can get things done with. Jessie could get that
way, but I've 3 machines that will need all the interfacing replaced if
I made the version jump for all.  Its an LTS, so I've 3 years of
security updates still.

> Anyway, have you reported the problem?

I have not, I understand there is a bug number but I have not found it in
the mail morgue here.

> > Why should I have to build FF from src, this isn't gentoo or arch?
>
> I dont say you should, I say it is a working solution and we submitted
> it to maintainers of the package. Dont hesitate to reply the bug
> report I gave to help us to convince them to rebuild the package
> according to this requirement for DebiaN 7 and 8.

That would be great, and I'd add my two cents if I knew the address, bug
number, and my passwd.

Ah, there's the bug number, now where is that address?

Found it, plea sent. Somehow, the passwd was bypassed. I hope it gets
thru.

[...]

Thanks Jean-Philippe

Cheers, Gene Heskett