Debian 9.1 amd64 Xfce panel clock broken

debian-user:

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T7400 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, and a fresh install of debian-9.1.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso, with all updates and upgrades as of now:

2017-08-09 16:59:07 root@tinkywinky ~
# cat /etc/debian_version
9.1

2017-08-09 16:59:18 root@tinkywinky ~
# uname -a
Linux tinkywinky 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u3 (2017-08-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux

2017-08-09 16:59:22 root@tinkywinky ~
# dpkg-query --show xfce4
xfce4	4.12.3

I would like to use the Xfce panel "clock" item. Unfortunately, it is broken:

- If I right-click on the Xfce panel and choose "Panel Preferences...", the "Panel" dialog appears.

- Selecting Panel -> Items tab, "Clock" appears in the list of panel items.

- If I select Panel -> Items -> Clock and click the "Edit the currently selected item" button, the "Clock" dialog appears.

- I then configure Clock as follows:

    Time Settings
      Timezone		PST8PDT
    Appearance
      Layout		Digital
      Tooltip format	Wednesday 09 August 2017
    Clock Options
      Format		05:04:55 PM

Once I have made the above settings, but before choosing "Close", the current time is displayed at the proper location in the Xfce panel. This is what I want.

- But when I click "Close", the current time disappears from the panel -- e.g. Clock breaks.

Looking in /var/log and dmesg, I don't see any clues.

Any suggestions for figuring out why Clock is broken and how to fix it?

David