Re: Background will not change.

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 4:31 AM, <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

Hi tomas.

Cinnamon DE I think borrows it's background settings utility from Gnome 3.

I had the background (wallpaper) set to show an image from the "Pictures" directory.  Upon reboot, the background displayed instead was the "softwaves" wallpaper installed by default by Debian 9 Stable.

To change it, I right clicked on the desktop to bring up the desktop menu.  From that I left clicked "Change Desktop Background".  That brings up a window showing preview images of the full images available in (in this case) the Pictures directory.

From this window, I left clicked any image preview. The preview image in the window then has a blue highlight around it. But then nothing else happens.

Previously, when selecting any image preview, the desktop background behind the window would change to the full version of the image selected. Now, the desktop does not change at all.

This acts the same for for any other directory added to the menu on the left side of window in question.

Note: in the menu on the left side of  the window mentioned, the icons next to the choices above the "Pictures" directory all show as the "broken icon" placeholder symbol.  "Pictures and below show a folder icon, as expected. Also, the choices in this left hand menu of the window can not be reliably selected, sometimes clicking them does nothing.  And the Adwaita choice appears to have no images associated with it.

This behavior (after "Note") has existed since the original install of Debian 9 Stable.  I guess I just got used to it.

Fun fact: if the screen saver activates, then the user wants to unlock it, the password entry box appears. Behind it is a translucent, faded display of the full background image the user wanted and had selected. But when the screen is unlocked, the user-chosen image has disappeared and the "softwaves" image has become the background again.