Re: Why debian put ~/bin beginning of $PATH

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:11:48 +0800
spp mg <sm.sppmg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> In the ~/.profile has below default setting:
>
> --------------
> # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
> if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
>     PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
> fi
> --------------
>
> Why put ~/bin beginning ? Is that dangerous ?

like other people already pointed out there shouldn't be anything
dangerous about this.
One possible use case is for example that you could put there a
minimal script that temporarily overrides some environment variable, like
one I have here which reads:

#!/bin/bash
GTK_IM_MODULE=gtk /usr/bin/poedit $@
exit $?

This way I can conveniently call "poedit <filename>" with the desired
setting of GTK_IM_MODULE without either having to type the whole thing
each time or else having to permanently change GTK_IM_MODULE's setting
(the default value of which I modified for other reasons).

Best regards

Michael

Fascinating, a totally parochial attitude.
		-- Spock, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8