Re: Live recording

On 2017-08-04, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here we seem to have different advices.  It seems that sometimes, laptops have
> one input hole for both mic and line in.  Some of them, as reported by other
> posters, can even switch from one to another function.  Someone else suggested
> a way to check *if* mic entry is stereo or mono.  Someone, like you, states
> that mic input is certainly mono, but someone else, also around Google, seems
> to state the contrary, i.e. it can be mono or stereo depending on the PC.  This
> is important to me also because I reversed into digital form some old vynils,
> and did so using the mic input of my netbook, that doesn't have a line in.  So
> I'd need to know if those *.wav files so produced are stereo or not, and, in
> case they aren't, repeat the operation on another machine or adding an external
> sound card to the netbook.

Can't you tell whether the wavs are stereo or not by listening to them?

In a mixer program like aumix (curses), for example, channels which are
"stereo-capable" (sic) will have balance controls (makes sense). So that
might be a roundabout way (opening up the old mixer, don't you know) to
reassure yourself concerning your mic (or bum yourself completely out after
having converted the entire pianistic *oeuvre* of Chopin from vinyl to
digital *mono*, depending).

But if you are unable discern the difference by listening forget it and be happy.

--
“Certitude is not the test of certainty.”
--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.