Re: Live recording

deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> writes:

> First of all you need to get basic knowledge of signal and audio processing
>
> One good way to understand things 8especially about electricity is water and
> pipes.
>
> Now your mic is a one bucket full of water and you have to pipes (left and
> right) ... where does the water flow?

It flows left and right, I suppose...

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> With my two microphones, say mic1 and mic2, I did a little experiment: I
>> recorded my voice with mic1, using sox, then listened to the so created
>> .wav file and the sound was heard only on the left channel.  Instead,
>> doing the same with mic2, the sound was heard on both channels.  How
>> should we conclude?  It seems to me that we should conclude that:
>>
>> 1) the mic input on my PC is stereo.  In fact, it is a laptop, nay a
>> netbook, doesn't have a line in and it is reasonable that its mic input is
>> also a line in;
>>

> there is no stereo mic - keep in mind - one bucket full of water - not two

Here we seem to have different advices.  It seems that sometimes, laptops have
one input hole for both mic and line in.  Some of them, as reported by other
posters, can even switch from one to another function.  Someone else suggested
a way to check *if* mic entry is stereo or mono.  Someone, like you, states
that mic input is certainly mono, but someone else, also around Google, seems
to state the contrary, i.e. it can be mono or stereo depending on the PC.  This
is important to me also because I reversed into digital form some old vynils,
and did so using the mic input of my netbook, that doesn't have a line in.  So
I'd need to know if those *.wav files so produced are stereo or not, and, in
case they aren't, repeat the operation on another machine or adding an external
sound card to the netbook.

>> 2) mic1 is mono;
>>
>> 3) mic2 is stereo.
>>

> now way - such thing does not exist - one can not be two ... even easier ...
> you have two ears and one mouth ... so you hear stereo, but you speak mono

Also here, someone states that there exist stereo and mono microphones...

>> Do you agree?  But then, if it is so, my rough home made live piano
>> record, done using mic1 and mic2 plugged together in a
>> one-male--two-female splitter, is actually stereo...?
>>

> it really depends how this splitter is wired. What I post you before is what
> you need - a splitter that splits the stereo L/R to a single L and single
> R.

Yes, this is clear.

> Stereo jack has 3 contacts mass and L,R while mono has 2. So I conclude
> something is wrong with your wiring. That's it.

The splitter works regularly when used in listening mode...

> get a propper splitter and try the line in

Thanks,

Rodolfo