Re: Network config

On 08/02/2017 06:56 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

I've preferred a static networking config for years, and resolvconf
works well in this situation - but once resolvconf is configured,
I've always put the dns setting in /etc/networks/interfaces

I agree with this as well. If you want to use static configuration and want resolvconf installed, you need to use the dns-* options in /etc/network/interfaces. resolvconf will then update your /etc/resolv.conf file with those options. If you change /etc/resolv.conf manually, resolvconf will override those settings periodically. The alternative is to simply uninstall resolvconf and set your DNS settings manually.

 - the
only time I put an entry in /etc/resolv.conf is when I'm testing
stuff or doing a quick hack.

Static network configs are quicker and give that sense of control -
if the gui is down I can still fix things, and my knowledge applies
in both gui and console scanerios.

Configuration in /etc/network/interfaces only works when NetworkManager isn't installed, which it typically is in GUI environments. If you don't have it installed in your GUI environment then yes, it works in both. If NetworkManager is installed then the nmcli command should be used and you shouldn't do any configuration in /etc/network/interfaces (although loopback is typically still controlled through this file).

Thanks,
Joshua Schaeffer