Re: [SOLVED] video driver - new thread

tomas@tuxteam.de composed on 2017-07-25 21:47 (UTC+0200):

>>> The cited URL has more to offer than what you reported. It shows a fallback to
>>> deprecated vtty mode control via the vga= option, thus:

>>> 	"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=792"
>>>

>> Right. I didn't mention that earlier for two reasons:
>>   1. the allowed numbers (e.g., 792) seemed like pure magic, with no

The magic is in legacy support. :-D

Those numbers were the standard valid method of specifying framebuffer modes
with Lilo, when Grub was born >2 decades ago.

>> explanation of how the numbers are calculated or their precise meaning;

> Maybe you're looking for this:

>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

That includes a superset of hex values at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO/x168.html
converted to decimal. Set

	vga=ask

to get your kernel to list the modes your video bios supports. 796 (0x31C)
likely can provide yet smaller text in 8 bit color, 798 (0x31E) in 16, 799
(0x31F) in 24. I've yet to observe a use for more than 8 bit color in a vtty.

Note that vga= only works in the framebuffers because KMS has been disabled via
nomodeset (or gfxchip-specific equivalent) in order to enable a proprietary Xorg
video driver. It's rarely needed with FOSS drivers except temporarily for
occasional troubleshooting. It does also work briefly as init starts even with
KMS enabled, but may not be noticed if plymouth is enabled. Once KMS actually
starts, the vga= configuration disappears.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/